Monday, November 15, 2010

Challenge: Day 7

A Photo of Someone You Love
I love Gerrit and this is a picture of him. :) This picture was taken on an RA staff retreat. Our staff was actually on our way to my house to stay for the weekend. Gerrit and I met as RAs. That was my second and his third year as an RA. He had been liking me on and off through out the beginning of that year. I had no interest in him at that point and just wanted to swear off men in general. On this trip, Gerrit's like for me was rekindled somehow. I don't know why....I'm pretty sure I wasn't sending out any vibes. It may have just been another month until I started liking him.

Here's the short version of how I began to like him: I was frustrated with my "love life" or lack thereof. I started praying on my way to class one day. I said, "Lord! I'm sick of men! I've over trying to find the right one. Here's my extensive list of qualities I want in my future husband. Do what you will!" And I listed all the things I wanted in my husband, down to the nitty gritty nonsense qualities. All of a sudden, I was struck with the thought: I'm describing my friend, Gerrit. Oh crap....I'm describing Gerrit." You see, I just wasn't ready for this! I didn't think God would reveal that specific man so very quickly and I CERTAINLY did not think it could be the guy that I looked at as a sometimes obnoxious older brother (we had a friendship full of teasing and sarcasm). But alas, God softened my heart and showed me the amazing man that Gerrit was/is. It's like God and Gerrit plotted it out. They won me over.

There are many people that I love. I cherish each one in a special place in my heart. I love my family so much. I love my friends dearly. My life is full of people that I love. I'm a lucky lady. But there is no one that I love as I do my husband. Of course, I strive to love God above all others. But I also believe that He made me to love this man. Yes, He put me on this earth, in part, to love Gerrit. I was made and designed by God to be Gerrit's wife. And I am just so glad that He did.

If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were lov'd by wife, then thee.

~
Anne Bradstreet

1 comment:

Erika said...

I've loved your photo challenge so much I decided to join as well! And, this day makes me so happy because I remember watching your love story with Gerrit unfold and it was so cool to see God completely open up your heart to him! Maybe he liked you more after he saw you tag wrestle in your living room!!! Do you remember that!?! HA!