Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Challenge: Day 2

A Photo of Yourself a Year Ago
I believe this picture was taken in November of last year. I know we were out with Adam and Maria (since that is the lovely Maria with me). I think we were out celebrating a birthday. Good times!

Hmmm, what was going on in my life then? Well, I'm just going to be honest. I know that I was starting to feel sad about not being pregnant yet. Pregnancy seems to come oh-so-easily with my immediate and extended female relatives (whether they are trying or ehem not). I assumed it would come easily for us as well. Around that time, 5 women at work (YES! 5!) announced their pregnancies. It seemed that every time I logged onto facebook, someone else was sharing their pregnancy news. While I was happy for those ladies, I felt sad for Gerrit and I. As I'm sure you know, it's hard to wait for something when you want it so badly. God sometimes lets us learn the hard way that He is in control. But I know it's a reminder I needed/need daily. Since I have the ability to cry easily these days, it makes me a little teary thinking about it. I feel a little tug of sadness in my heart for the Cassie in this picture and joy now at where God has brought us. At the same time, I know that our road to get to this point has been easier than for many others. I am counting our blessings and want to be sensitive to those still struggling.

In other news a year ago, I was just a couple months away from figuring out that I have a thyroid issue. I finally had an explanation as to why I was having chest pains and was gaining weight. Every girl likes to hear that her weight gain is probably not her fault! Seriously, I wanted to broadcast: It's a thyroid problem; I'm usually a skinny person!!! I was also experiencing tremendous relief that I wasn't having a heart attack!

These are things I didn't share on the blog because I thought they were too personal for the time, but it's nice to be able to share them now. As Paul Harvey would say, "That's the rest of the story. Good day."


No comments: