Monday, May 30, 2011

The Good, the Bad, and the Stinky

We took our first road trip as a new family this weekend. And you know what? The kid was a trooper. She's a great little traveler. Before I get to the title of this entry, here are the picture highlights from the weekend:

First picture with all 5 cousins!

The Moms of the family with Adeline. Gerrit took the picture and said, "Cassie, you look like you're in high school." I do a bit. I need to start wearing my wedding ring again!
Had to get Dad in there, too. He's always behind the camera, as dads often are.
Jozie loved being near Adeline. She said, "Grandpa, you can pet baby Adeline's head, you know. You can just pet it."

Owen finally worked up the courage to hold the baby. He kept politely declining when he was asked. But during the last half hour of our stay he asked to hold her and had great success! I think they'll be good buddies.
We like her.
Gerrit and Adeline are precious. I look like a tired mom. But I am. So, it's okay.

On to the title of the entry:

The Good:
*
It was wonderful to be home. Gerrit thought we should challenge ourselves to make the 4 1/2 hour trip up north with the kiddo. We did it! Now we know it's possible.

* We had so many helping hands this weekend. Besides changing and feeding, we hardly held our child! My sister, Carey, offered to stay up with Adeline one night.
The baby slept on her for almost 5 hours! Slept right through her regular eating time. If Carey didn't have a husband, children, and a life of her own, we'd just have her live with us. But everyone was extremely helpful.

The Bad:
* While we were there, I got a little thing called Mastitis. It sort of feels like having the flu. I couldn't get warm. For most of the day, I assumed that was because my mom keeps the house chilly. But I had a fever and aches. Then the antibiotics made me feel a little worse. Awesome. I have a follow-up appointment today, since I had to see a doctor in my hometown and not my current doctor. After all my prenatal and newborn appointments, the ladies at the check-in counter know me by name now. It's like "Cheers."

The Stinky:
*It's a really good thing that Adeline's closet and dresser are so full of clothes, because this little lady poops through everything! I've never heard of a newborn making so many messes. She far exceeds her pooping quota each day. I think by day 2 or 3 newborns are supposed to have 2-3 messy diapers. Yeah....how about 5 or 6....or 8? She was a pro from the start and she's only perfected her craft. We adoringly call her "Turd Butt," "Squirt," and "Poopty Poopty Pants." It's okay, she doesn't mind.

1 comment:

Gordon Magee said...

love it, love it!
mom