Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Today is my mom's birthday and this is my small written gift to her. I know I can't fit all that is in my head, but here's an attempt to get the point across:

I knew God had given me a really good mom when...

...I was 4 and you sent the neighbor girl home for hitting me with a plastic bat. "Because no one hurts my little girl."

...You stopped dressing us in these outfits.


...I was 6 and you told me that I better pray that God take my temper away. That was good advice.

...I was 8 and you tucked me in and listened to all my little worries in the world.

...I call you now and you listen to all my little worries in the world.

...you'd be home after we got home for school ready to hear about our days.

...I was 14 and my friends told me they would rather talk to you about important things than their own parents. I knew I could talk to you about those things.

...you would get more nervous for all our plays and solos than we would.

...you were the pastor's wife who wore leopard print on Sunday morning. You break the mold!

...I realized that you sit and make time to be with God everyday.

...you did a million daily things for Dad, Carey, Courtney and I with too few "thank-yous" but didn't ever complain about it.

...I was in high school and you'd wake me up on a Saturday morning by yelling through my open window, "COME OUT AND PLAY WITH ME!" I woke up laughing!

...I was in college and would open my mailbox to find a letter from you. "Just because I love you."

...you were diagnosed with breast cancer and you were so brave. I know someday I could have cancer too, but I'm not scared because I saw how you trusted God and continue to do so.

...I realized that I don't mind "turning into my mother" because someday I want to be the kind of mom you are. You are a funny, funky, wonderful woman. I'm so blessed to have you, Mom, for many, many reasons. I love you so much.

2 comments:

Mrs. E. said...

That was beautiful!
I'm sure she was very blessed.

Carey said...

Well, I just bought her a scarf. Thanks a lot! :)