Sunday, October 5, 2008

Modern Love

I was just now looking at an old book of poems my mom gave me one year for Valentine's Day. I came across one titled: To My Dear and Loving Husband (written in the 1600s by Anne Bradstreet). You can skip to the end if you wish, but it goes:

If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were lov'd by wife, then thee.

Compare with me, ye women, if you can.

I prize thy love more than whole Mines of gold

My love is such that Rivers cannot quench,
Nor ought but love from thee give recompetence.

Thy love is such I can no way repay.

The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.

Then while we live, in love let's so persevere

That when we live no more, we may live ever.

I finished and thought, "How nice. I will show this to my dear and loving husband" Gerrit took the book, read the poem, and when he finished he said in monotone, "What's this say? That you love me?"
Yup...that's what it says. I love you....dearly.

1 comment:

Gordon Magee said...

I loved getting caught up on your blog, especially liked the pictures of when you were little, you cute little thing!
Love ya
Mom