Thursday, May 3, 2012

Epiphanies

I had a couple epiphanies last night. They may be obvious to others; but for some reason, I hadn't had this revelations before.

1. I'm Gerrit's One and Only Wife. As such, I need to love him like no one else will.
Lord-willing, Gerrit and I will grow old together and never be married to another. I'm the only one who gets to kiss his lips romantically. I'm the only one giving him foots massages and back rubs. We share a home and a daughter. Of course there are several other things that come along with a marriage. But it's MY responsiblity to keep up my end of the relationship. No one else gets to be his wife. Naturally, if you know Gerrit you love him. But you aren't his wife. So, you can't (and I hope you don't) love him as a wife does. That's my job. Shouldn't I be the best darn wife I can be for him?

2. I'm not a perfect mother. My mothering will never look like Pinterest thinks it looks.

This is not us. I've never looked like that.
 I am not uber-crafty. I do not take amazing photos of our family. I do not serve Addie gourmet, organic meals. I don't do the laundry enough. I don't hand-stitch onesies (God bless you, if you do!). I am not stimulating her little brain at every moment with infant, educational flashcards. But goodness gracious, I love that kid. And I'm doing my best! She will never have to wonder if she's loved by Gerrit, me, or the Lord because we'll tell her and show her everyday. And I think that means more than a million personalized onesies.


Our Reality. But with fewer naps.


5 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh I love this so much Cassie! i can't really form a cohesive thought beyond that, but just know that I am with you. ::fist bumping on chest followed by peace sign:: :)

Cassie said...

Oh Shannon! :) Thanks for your chest thumping support! I feel it!

Erika said...

Love this, Cassie! I have a love/hate relationship with Pinterest because it's SO easy to compare! I'm right there with ya.....all our kiddos need is love! :)

Cassie said...

Thanks, Erika! Don't get me wrong...I love me some Pinterest, maybe to an obsessive level. But I know I can't live up to all those pins! So, I'll trade the crafts for kisses when I fall short. :)

Adventures with Claire, Jason, and Jonas!! said...

Amen Amen Amen. And Amen. Love is all I got right now. Not sleep, not crafty. Not even funny sometimes. But God is good.