Sunday, September 4, 2011

From Whence I Came

I had two lovely trips recently. I went home for my old friend, Gayle's, wedding. Then, just a bit later went to Iowa to see my grandma, Rosalie (whom Adeline got her middle name of "Rose" from). On both trips, I traveled alone with Adeline because Gerrit had to work. Am I insane? Perhaps. But she's a good little traveler and the time with family was therapeutic for me. Although, we missed Gerrit dearly (yay for Skype!).

Here is my dad, spending some "educational" time with Addie. Doing some of their favorite thing...watching TV. He was surprised at her strength and called her "a little linebacker." I'm kind of hoping that doesn't turn out to be true, though we'll support her in that endeavor if we must. :)

Here are all the hometown friends that were able to attend Gayle's wedding. So much fun! Grandma and Grandpa Magee babysat. I felt like a teenager there with all my old friends, especially without Gerrit or Addie there. I did turn into a pumpkin early though. Troy, an old friend and the DJ for the night, sent me out the door with "Bye Bye Bye" by 'NSYNC. :)

The Bride and I!

And just for your viewing pleasure, the Bride and I in high school (in opposite order). We were both in the "Music Man," hence the caked on make-up and classy attire.

On to the next trip! My grandma had not met Adeline yet. She didn't even have a recent picture (because I'm a bad granddaughter!). Addie is her 31st great-grandchild! If you think that's amazing, you should know that she can name them all and "loves them all special" (as she sometimes says).

Addie comes from a long line of sassy women. My mom and grandma have spunk, for sure!

It was almost harder to get my grandma to look at the camera than it was to get Adeline to. :) Love ya, Grandma.

On both trips, my mom spoiled me. Before I could do things like clean a bottle or change a diaper, it was already done. I got lots of mom, dad and grandma love. It was so hard to leave. I probably wouldn't have, if not for the love I have for my husband back home. Darn you, Gerrit, for being so loveable!

A bit of honesty...the postpartum time has been rough for me. I needed these trips for my own well-being. I know the blog isn't always the place for dirty laundry. But I just don't feel right about sharing smiley pictures and witty banter, without also sharing that I'm struggling. It wouldn't be honest and it wouldn't be helpful for someone else struggling to think that motherhood has been easy-breezy for me. I cry....a lot. I even moved my grandma to tears. You know you're a mess when your emotion makes Rosalie cry. She's more prone to give a sassy comment. But she hugged me and said, "Give me some of your burden. I can take it. I want to help you and I don't know how." *Cue more tears*

It's more than baby blues at this point. Gerrit has been a saint with putting up with me. He tells me not to apologize for crying on his shoulder (he's got two to use, he says). My mom has been praying her heart out. My dad says just the right thing at just the wrong time (when I'm ready to cry more, that is. Thanks, Dad. Truly.) My sister's send helpful, funny texts. But yet, it's a dark time in my heart, when it should be full of joy. Adeline is beautiful and I'm thankful that I've been able to love her and bond with her. None of my feelings are directed to her. It's very internal. God can seem distant in times like these. I know He isn't, but it's the way I feel at times. I know, too, that He's the one that's going to get me through. He's moved bigger mountains than this. But your prayers are always appreciated.

Sorry if my blubbering is a bit too heavy or a TMI. It's where I am; and it's my blog and I'll cry if I want to. To leave you on a lighter note:
She's pretty stinkin' cute. Note Grandma Gwen in the reflection of her sunglasses. :)



4 comments:

Erika said...

I love the pictures and am SO glad you got to get away and just have a refresher with family and friends. I am praying for you right now :(

Shannon said...

Oh Cassie, thank you for sharing what's going on in your heart. Perhaps your insurance would cover a session or two with a counselor trained in this area to help you sort out your emotions?

I had considered that after Ryan was born because I had a lot of family drama which darkened the time around his birth, which I confused with PPD, but once I cut them out for a time, I felt much better.....ummmm that doesn't sound helpful for you though....but anywho, I distinctly remember feeling like I "should be" happy and joyous, but actually feeling crappy all the time.

Adeline is such a beauty and I am glad you were able to get away for a time to be refreshed. I'll be praying for you. :)

Shannon said...

I think it's great that you're sharing that great moments of motherhood can happen at the same time as dark emotional times. I also think that what you are experience is not overly rare in cases where it has taken time to get pregnant. At this point, you have spent YEARS wanting her. There was all the excitement of getting pregnant, but also nine months of fears of losing her. Now she's here, you've got a routine, you know you can keep her alive, and it can be a big change. Keep telling people how you feel, and asking for help. I have no doubt that you can make it through this. I'm so glad you have your great family and friends to help you through!

Stephanie said...

Hi Cassie - I'm finally coming out as one of your blog stalkers. :-) I'm a friend of Jenny F. Thank you for being so honest. I had many of the same feelings after I had my daughter, but didn't want to say anything - especially since all the new mommies around me were so happy (tired, but happy). All of these feelings made me feel so guilty. 'I'm not a good mom. Why is this happening to me? She deserves a happy mom. Why am I sad?? This is what I've wanted for so long!' Through all of it I learned that the best thing I can do for my daughter is to take care of myself. So, please take care of yourself - everything else will fall into place after that.
Stephanie
P.S. Your daughter is adorable! :-)