Thursday, June 30, 2011

House Arrest

Here's my bit of honesty for the day. As a new mom, lately I have felt like a prisoner in my own home. And her she is:

The Warden
She dictates when I eat, sleep, get dressed, and go to the bathroom.

Dear, oh dear. Before we had Adeline, when we were struggling to conceive her, I would sometimes get sad when women would talk about having a hard time with their baby. I would think, "At least you have a child." But you know what? I am learning what it means to be selfless and it is not easy.

I didn't fully appreciate the ease of life B.C. (Before Child) Before, I took for granted a leisurely shower. These days, I mostly smell like a baby or a teenage boy (due to lack of showering). I didn't realize what a treat it was to go to bed at the same time as my husband and sleep through the night together. It used to be simple to get out the door and arrive on time. Now we need to give a vague time of when we'll be arriving. There's a lot of loot that needs to come with us and she might need feeding at the exact time we intended to leave. Breastfeeding is a whole area of selflessness that I'm dealing with. There's so much to learn as a parent. We're just beginning. I know in some ways, this is the toughest time. In others, it's the easiest. The time will go by so quickly. Once she's walking and talking, I'm sure I'll miss this stage when she just wants to be held.

We are starting to be rewarded with some gummy smiles. Her personality is coming out. That makes parenting a joy. Praise the Lord for her little baby smiles, her dimples, the smell of her head, her super soft skin, the new noises she makes each day, and her cuddly little self. AND, praise Him, that Lord willing, I will one day
  • smell like a woman
  • sleep through the night with my man by my side
  • eat a warm meal without interruption
  • go to the bathroom when I choose
  • be out in public without the fear that I'll leak breast milk (!!!)
Until then, I'm going to spend time with the Warden. She can be nasty, but she sure is cute.



2 comments:

jenny said...

Yes, it's hard. I remember feeling the EXACT same way with Bella. I still crave long showers - which is why I usually take them after the girls are down for the night. I can go to the bathroom when I want, but I have an audience. I don't leak milk anymore, but my boobs are def for Sum, not the man. :-) And as for food... I LLLLLOOOOOVVVVEEEE going out to eat with JUST Trav, so I don't have to share, or chop up anyone else's food. :-)

But, yes, it's just a phase in life and I'm sure we'll soon miss it. Give it a couple more months and things will become easier...

Kay said...

That is exactly how it is...well said!