Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Reminder for the Ladies

I sat down at a computer at work the other morning to check my email before the school bell rang. I found an email sent from "Gordon," my dad. My jaw dropped as I opened it and read:

Be sure to do breast exam and get a ribbon shaped bagel at Panera for me!

Reading a little further down, I realized this was a message from my mother. But you can imagine my discomfort at my short-lived misunderstanding. Awkward.....

Anyway, as you probably know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. I didn't think too much of this until my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer just a few years ago. They found a small lump during a routine mammogram. Praise the Lord, the lump was found early and removed quickly. Surgery and treatment went well for her. And because of early intervention and God being so good, the cancer is gone. But ever since that time, we've become an "aware" family. So, here I am, spreading the awareness! If you're of age, go get that mammogram! It's worth the discomfort. My sister blogged about her experience--click here. If you're not of mammogram age, go give the "ladies" a feel during your next shower. :) Or for the married ladies out there, have your husband do it! October will be his new favorite month! To be on the safe side, a self-exam should be done once a month. So, get to it! Give the "girls" a squeeze.

No comments: