Saturday, July 26, 2014

Hey Guys! We had a baby!

Wow. So, times flies when you have two kids, huh? Suddenly changing diapers, bathing, eating, and surviving come before blogging. Weird. Who knew?

Let's back WAY up to December 7th. 
I started having contractions in the wee small hours. They were strong enough to wake me up and came every 30 minutes. I was pumped to be nearing the end of pregnancy, but also terrified about going through labor a second time. Ignorance of labor pains was no longer my reality. I KNEW what was coming. 

Long story short, my contractions last ALL the live long day and didn't get much closer than 20 minutes apart. Well, that just wouldn't do. My parents weren't sure whether to come over from Wisconsin or not (they did). Months earlier, we had arranged for my sister to watch Adeline while we were at the hospital. By 8 pm, we were torn about whether to put Addie to bed or to go to Carey's. 

Eventually (and by that I mean, 20 minutes later), we decided to head over to Carey's to put Addie to bed there. We could always spend the night, but at least we'd be closer to the hospital. 

Being a part of another woman's labor is Carey's nightmare. She'd rather get a phone call when the baby has arrived and be the friend that brings 5 meals over to be helpful. She just doesn't want to worry the whole time. So, here I am...on her couch, having contractions. Poor Carey. 


My mom kept asking, "Are you going to leave yet?" 
"No Mom, my contractions are 12 minutes apart. They'll send me home."


Since Gerrit had been timing my contractions all day, my dad took over once we got to Carey's. He was falling asleep next to me with his timer. I would nudge him every 10 minutes or so to mark the time. I am actually having a contraction (and not laughing at SNL on TV) in the picture below.


Around 11 pm, I had had enough. More accurately, my family had had enough of waiting and made me call the Baby Line to ask to come in. The nurse was hesitant to let me come in, since I have a high pain tolerance and didn't sound like I was dying over the phone. But since I had been having contractions since 2 am, she allowed it. Golly, thanks Nurse Lady. 

On the way to the hospital I told Gerrit, "I can't express how badly I don't want to do this." Oh yes, I wanted to have Reyer, but I certainly didn't want to push a baby out. Ugh. No, thank you. 

When we got there, I was plenty dilated and having contractions I wasn't even feeling. Every ten minutes, I would feel a very strong one, but I was having smaller ones in between that I was unaware of. To the labor room we went! 

The nurse said she would give me some meds to help me sleep to keep my strength up for later. I agreed, thought it over, and said, "Actually, can we just get an epidural going? I missed my window last time and I'm not interested in natural labor again." 

Booyah! Epidural ordered...on time! Labor dreams coming true! 
I was hooked up to get IV fluids and had several intense contractions that made me swear a lot in my head. I had a lovely mantra of cursing going on internally. 
Mr. Anesthesiologist Tom came in after my IV fluids. What a wonderful man. I mean, I don't know anything about him personally. But he had the needle and I loved him. I will love him forever and ever, Amen. 

Fast forwarding a few hours, when I drew nearer to pushing time, Reyer's heart rate was decreasing to an almost unsafe rate when I was on my back or left side. We found out afterward, that his cord was just slightly wrapped around his neck and would tighten when I turned. Because of this, I had to push while laying on my right side only. Such weird way to go through labor, but I was willing to do whatever worked and kept the kiddo safe! Around 7 am, I pushed for about 30 minutes and Reyer made his entrance! It was so fast at the end, I could hardly believe he was here. 

And what a good looking boy! Seriously, the kid looked amazing right away. Certainly better than I looked at that moment.



A few hours later, our families got to visit. Adeline was really more interested in eating my pancakes than seeing her new brother. 


But she warmed up. I was surprised that she took to him so quickly. She also seemed to understand that this was the baby that had been in my belly. Throughout the first week, she kept saying, "Reyer was born!!!" 


 We got to take him home on one of the coldest days of winter. He didn't seem to mind a bit. And that's how he's been ever since: easy-going and happy. 

Welcome, Bubber! We're so glad you're here! (Sorry it took Mommy so long to blog about you.)

No comments: