Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Sibling Bonding

At around 4:30 this morning, Adeline woke up. She's been wanting to come sleep in our bed when this happens. I compromised and decided to rock her for a while.

We sat down in the chair and she laid her head on my chest for a moment. Then she sat up and said, "No baby. No baby." (She used his name instead of "baby." She calls him by name now). She didn't want the baby taking up all the lap space. I said, "Well, he's here. He has to sit here."

She decided this would have to do and said, "I want to talk to [baby]."
I said, "Okay, you can talk to him."
This is the first that she has initiated interacting with him. I had been frustrated to get out of bed and miss precious sleep. But I got to be a part of a moment even more precious.

Adeline bent her little head down, rubbed my belly bump, and started whispering ever so softly to the baby. He woke up and started moving in response. I couldn't hear what she was saying. It was their little secret. The first of many, I'm sure.




No comments: